Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thoughts On Live Music

Concerts cost a lot of money now. Ticket prices are inflated beyond belief, beer costs $10 per 12 ounces, parking is $30+gas and trains are $20+, T Shirts are $20+ at any concert now practically.

Before the ticket you are probably spending $50 minimum to go to a concert in most cases(I realize some shows are like $8 for the ticket, no shirt necessary, $2 for a water and $4 for gas or whatever, but those are shows, I am speaking of concerts)

My point here is, which bands are worth this kind of money? If you are going to a concert, the ticket ranges from $35-200+! So which bands are worth seeing?

Bands with arena sized hits right? The Who, The Stones, Bruce, Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, U2, McCartney,Billy Joel, Elton John, Green Day, Bon Jovi(let me make my point before you criticize), The Eagles, The Police, Genesis.....

My point here? All these bands are full of fucking old people! Granted they are legends, but name me one band in their prime selling out arenas like all these acts did who are in their 20s! And who even sound like they have potential to have serious staying power! Fall Out Boy? No. Jonas Brothers? Gimmick. Nickelback? No one knows their hits country-wide.

The only touring bands with hit songs that hit arenas are old people or fads at the moment.

Ozzy was in Sabbath in his early 20s, Green Day were barely 20 when Dookie came out, the Stones were pracitcally kids when they came out...50 years ago! They will sell out Giants Stadium in hours if a show goes on sale.

YOUNG BANDS STEP YOUR GAME UP THIS IS IMPORTANT

Bands that have the potential to sound different, but rock the same with an arsenal of honest good rock songs. I'm looking at you Kings of Leon, My Chemical Romance(yes, I have faith in them), and new bands signing to major labels as we speak, its not too late!

I realize that pop acts like Britney Spears and Beyonce are qualified for the task, but I am speaking of rock and roll here.

Old bands, play on.

P.S. Dave Grohl...Please Never Stop

1 comment: